October 13, 2011

sweet potato biscuits


IMG_4958My sister in law has got me slightly hooked on Gooseberry Patch books.  I have nowhere near as many as she does, but I think I am creeping close to a dozen.  Every once in a while I actually make something from one of them.  They are fun to read, but like any other cook book, I think I read them more than I cook from them.  I was looking through them recently looking for  some recipes with fall flavors and I came across sweet potato biscuits.  I love sweet potatoes and I love biscuits, and they are quick and easy.  This is a picture heavy post, not that this recipe needs to be, but I just like pictures of food and it was fun putting together a pictorial step by step.  Ok, are you ready for some biscuits?





Ingredients:IMG_4957
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1TBSP. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/3 cup margarine
  • 1 cup sweet potatoes, peeled, boiled, and mashed
  • 1/3 cup plus 1 TBSP milk divided
  • Garnish: sugar (I used brown sugar!  YUM!!)







(note: in pictures below I had doubled the recipe)




First things first, you need to prepare your sweet potatoes.  Boil and mash.  Easy, right?  I stored them in a plastic Ball container in the fridge until I was ready to make the biscuits.
IMG_4916IMG_4919

Mix up your dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg):
IMG_4933

Cut in the butter:
IMG_4942IMG_4943

Mix up the wet ingredients (pumpkin and 1 cup milk):
IMG_4934IMG_4935

Mix the wet and dry:
IMG_4944IMG_4945

Roll and cut with a biscuit cutter
IMG_4946IMG_4947

Pop them on a greased cookie sheet, brush with milk and sprinkle with brown sugar…I used lots!:
IMG_4949IMG_4950

Bake them bad boys up!  425 degrees until golden, about 15-20 minutes.  YUM!!  Original recipe makes about a dozen.   
IMG_4951IMG_4955

I took these to a picnic and they were still good, but I highly recommend eating them right away.  These are best straight from the oven when they are nice and warm and the brown sugar is still crunchy…..SO GOOD.  The brown sugar idea was a suggestion made by Alexis and it was a very good one!  I love  Fall flavors.  I have been on a mission lately to find the best chewy pumpkin blondies.  I have tried several recipes and while they are all very good, they tasted more cake-like than brownie-like.  If I find one, I will definitely share it.  I have also found an apple bread pudding recipe that is tasty.  I would love suggestions for more fall flavored treats.
Thanks for looking!!
~Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love reading your comments!!